This Official South Carolina SC Roadside Memorial Registry page will allow you to register, plot, pin point and pay tribute to your loved one(s) Roadside Memorial for the State of South Carolina SC. The regulation, rules, laws, policy, procedures and or guidelines etc information provided below for the South Carolina SC State Roadside Memorials is ever changing and we will do our best to maintain this information for you. If you have new or updated regulation information that we have not posted, please let us know HERE.
South Carolina SC State Flag Roadside Memorials
This is the link to the State of South Carolina’s Roadside Tribute Program: South Carolina SC Roadside Memorial Sign Program.
South Carolina, SC Roadside Memorial SIgn Program
The South Carolina Department of Transportation (SCDOT) will allow immediate family members to apply for a new standard roadside memorial sign to honor loved ones who were lost in traffic crashes on the state’s highways.
The 30″ x 24″ main sign will read “DRIVE SAFELY.” A 24″ x 12″ memorial plaque will include the phrase “IN MEMORY OF” followed by the victim’s name. An anonymous identification such as “A LOVED ONE” can also be used. View an image of the sign and plaque.
- Immediate family members (parents, children, spouse, siblings, grandparents or grandchildren) may request a memorial by filling out the Memorial Signs Application. The application must include a copy of the accident report issued by the investigating law enforcement agency. Information on how to obtain an accident report is available on the SC Department of Motor Vehicles website. Completed applications should be mailed to the following address:
Attn: Roadside Memorials, Rm 205
PO Box 191
Columbia, SC 29202-0191
- The fee for manufacturing, erecting and maintaining the sign is $250.
- Applications should be made within one year of the crash date unless an exception is granted by the Secretary of Transportation.
- Only one sign per incident will be erected. In the case of multiple victims a larger sign may be used to include all names on one plaque.
- In the event of conflicting wishes among immediate family members, no sign will be erected or the sign will be removed if it’s already in place.
- Signs will be installed on the right-hand side of the road. No signs will be erected in the median or on the left-hand side of the road.
- SCDOT will make every effort to install the signs at the approximate location of the crash site. However, signs will not be placed in front of a residence or business and cannot create a distraction from traffic control devices.
- SCDOT can only erect signs on state highways. The agency does not have the authority to place them on city or county roads.
- In the case of an interstate highway, memorial signs will be placed in a dedicated area at the nearest welcome center or rest area.
- SCDOT reserves the right to temporarily remove or relocate a sign at any time for highway maintenance or construction.
- Signs will remain in place for two years. Following the two-year period, the sign will be taken down. The memorial plaque will be sent to the person who applied for the sign at the address listed on the application.
- No signs will be erected for victims who were directly involved in criminal activity that led to their deaths, such as DUI, reckless driving, fleeing law enforcement officers, etc.
I have reviewed SCDOT’s South Carolinas SC guidelines for the placement of roadside memorial signs. I understand that failure to meet the requirements or objections from family members may necessitate the removal of the sign. After 2 years, the memorial plaque will be removed and sent to the address provided above.
South Carolina, SC Roadside Memorials Questions:
Should South Carolina, SC Roadside Memorials be allowed?
Who removed my South Carolina, SC Roadside Memorial?
Are South Carolina, SC Roadside Memorials distracting?
South Carolina, SC Roadside Memorial Controversy?
Should Roadside Memorials be banned in South Carolina SC?
What are the South Carolina SC State Rules or Laws for Roadside Memorials?
Does South Carolina, SC have a Roadside Memorial program?
Can I make a permanent Roadside Memorial in South Carolina SC?
Can I put a Roadside Memorial on Private Property in South Carolina SC?
How much do South Carolina SC Roadside Memorial permits cost?
In South Carolina, SC, how long do Carolina, SC Roadside Memorial permits last?
Do South Carolina, SC Roadside Memorials distract other drivers?
Do Roadside Memorials cause issues in South Carolina SC?
Do South Carolina, SC Roadside Memorials cause Maintenance issues?
Are Roadside Memorials illegal in South Carolina SC?
Where do I apply for a South Carolina, SC Roadside Memorial permit or program?
How do I apply for a Roadside Memorial in my state of South Carolina SC?
How To, About, Can I, Where, Rules, Who, How Much Cost, Limits for my State of South Carolina SC to put up a Road Side Memorial?
Are South Carolina, SC Roadside Memorials legal?